Saturday, May 5, 2007

She's SEWN in!!!

Poor Katie! Tonight is her Senior Prom. She and Chesi are going with 2 friends who are members of the group "International Toast". They had their nails done on Wednesday; she had her hair done at 1 PM; I steamed her dress and she left at 3 PM to go to Chesli's to get ready. At 4:30 I get a frantic phone call..."Mom...the zipper in the dress is broken!" I quickly search for the sewing kit and head to Chelsi's - praying all the way. After much "tinkering" I determined that I couldn't repair the zipper...the only option was to sew the zipper closed. It is a long zipper. Kate was sure that if I sewed it up, she could get her arms and shoulders through and it would be fine. God gave me enough sense to sew it in 5 smaller sections (that and the fact that I was doubling the thread and running out of thread sooner). The guys had been outside waiting since 4:30...pacing...

When I finished sewing we
carefully tried to put it on Katie. I could get it to her shoulders...but that was it. There were 3 adults, an 11 year old and 3 younger children watching the drama. Katie, who had been calm up to this point, burst into tears. I ended up cutting out 2 sections of stitching, putting the dress back on her and literally SEWING HER IN THE DRESS! I added a few safety pins for good measure and she was done. I only got a few pictures as they rushed out the door. You see the drama didn't end there - the florist sent the boutinniere she had ordered to another of their locations! Thankfully they had to drive by the florist that had it on their way to Wolfeboro. They left Chelsi's at 5:45 PM. It is a 30 minute drive to the Wolfeboro Docks where they were to get on the Mount Washington for the prom cruise! Everyone was boarding between 6:00 and 6:30! I did a lot of praying on the way home that they'd make it. Here's what I have for photos:

Me trying to sew up the zipper on the dress using Rochelle's couch!

Steven, Katie, Chelsi and Dan (Dan is really shy!)
The "Hurry up Mom we have to go!" look.

In other news, over 500 people attended National Day of Prayer. It was a wonderful experience. You can view photos here.

Have a great weekend!

1 comments:

Cheryl said...

Oh, she was so beautiful. Way to go with the sew'n!